We are so excited to introduce you to Anna Lord, a filmmaker out in the LA area. We’ll chat with her about how she pursues both wedding and commercial work in the creative industry. We dive into how she started in the commercial world and the differences she has seen in her work since. Also Anna gives tips on how other creatives who might be interested in diversifying from just weddings might be able to do just that.
ANNA LORD DARES YOU
I would encourage or dare you to edit something that you’ve already done, but to re-imagine it. Find something old, maybe one of your first projects and re-edit it.And really see how far you’ve come and see how all these years, months have changed you and grown you?
I actually recently watched my first wedding film and I have really been thinking about like, oh, if I were to shoot that again, how would I do it differently? Not in a bad way. just seeing where the growth needed to be for me. I think that helped me take a step back and kind of look at my work overall. Also if you’re ever feeling down about yourself just look at your old work, I think you’ll feel better.
FAST FACTS ABOUT ANNA LORD
What do you shoot with?
- Sony camera bodies
What’s your favorite post-wedding or event snack?
- Taco Bell & In-N-Out Burger if I’m in California. But it has to be one or the other and it has to be with an IPA.
What’s your favorite wedding/creative pump up jam?
- Well, silence generally. So I can just gather my thoughts. But Tame Impala, so it’s not pump up, but it’s goofy music.
What is your favorite thing to do outside of your business?
- Travel. I’m sure everybody says that. I also like to eat and try new restaurants. Combining traveling and eating is literally the best thing.
What is one daring the leap you’ve taken in your business?
- Well I think a big daring leap was saying yes to fostering. My husband and I foster. So that’s a personal life one. Another daring leap was I pitching myself to Amsterdam tourism a few years ago to create some work for them. And they said, yes, and I had never even been to Amsterdam.
What is one thing you feel like you’re really great at in your business?
- I think I’m really great at creating a mood.I am great at creating an experience. My business tagline is I want you to sink into a dream when you watch something that I create.
I do think I’m really good at doing that. And then on a personal level, like when you meet me, when you work with me, I think I’m really good at making it fun and easy. I really strive to be down to earth and humble, especially like when I’m working with people.
Where can our listeners find you?
- Website: https://www.annalord.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/annalord/
Do you have any special announcements / offers for our listeners?
- I’d like to encourage anybody who’s interested in filmmaking, whether it’s within the wedding world or commercial world. I do offer mentor sessions and so I’d love to chat and. It can be via zoom or in person, depending on the circumstances. And we can shoot together, edit together or just Q and a. So I’m a happy open book to anybody who wants to write.
- Anna’s Email: [email protected]
OTHER D2D EPISODES YOU MIGHT LIKE
We dare you to check out the other Dare to Develop Podcast episodes including 000: Welcome to Dare to Develop where you get to meet your hosts Kristine Herman and Ashley Baumgartner. Check out other cinematographers episodes including Charlie Hilbrant, Megan Pettus, and Taylor Petrinovich.