We’re so excited to have Julie Paisley here today from her own business, Julie Paisley and from The Hybrid Co. We’ll talk about her journey from teacher to photographer, and back to teacher again with The Hybrid Co. Julie also fills us in on how she develops her community from the vendors and clients she works with, to participants in her workshops. Julie also has some fantastic advice for anyone looking to make a major pivot in their career. You don’t want to miss this one!
JULIE DARES YOU
Just step aside from the fear. I think that’s one of the biggest things whether you want to be a part of other communities. Reach out to somebody, a vendor that you want to work with or if you just want to make that pivot in your business, you just have to step away from fear.
FAST FACTS ABOUT JULIE PAISLEY
What do you shoot with?
- I am primarily a film photographer, so I shoot with the Contax 645 and the 80 Zeiss lens , but for my digital, I shoot the Fuji GFX.
What’s your favorite post-wedding or event snack?
- McDonald’s French fries on the way home. There’s something about McDonald’s when you’re coming home from a late wedding. It’s probably because it’s the only thing that’s open, but you know.
What’s your favorite wedding shoot pump up jam?
- I’m probably a little odd in that one that I don’t really have a pump-up jam (check out the recording to hear what Julie does instead!)
What is your favorite thing to do outside of photography and education?
- Go to Disney World. Yes, that’s right. Yes. Disney World is my jam. It’s my happy place. Of course, Paris is too, but Paris usually means work. Disney world is like the one place that we can go and just like, I can really like disconnecting from work.
What is one daring the leap you’ve taken in your business?
- Well, so about two years ago, I decided to start cutting back on weddings. And that was, that was big because that’s what I was known for. I was a wedding photographer and I had no trouble booking and I was shooting 30 to 40 weddings a year. So I started gradually making changes and cutting back on weddings. I think in 2017 I did 39, then 2018 we went down to like 28 and then 19 I did 18 and then this year I’m only doing five. Yeah, that’s a huge leap, but it’s been great, it really has been great. I’ve been able to pour into education now and that has completely replaced my wedding income.
What is one thing you feel like you’re really great at in your business?
- People skills, you know, connections and creating community and those things. That is where I feel like that is my strength for sure and it plays out in everything that I do. It plays out in my photography because my clients feel comfortable with me. It plays out in the community as far as education goes because they trust me and they want to keep coming back and learning for me.
Where can our listeners find you?
- Website: www.juliepaisley.com
- Instagram: @juliepaisley
OTHER D2D EPISODES YOU MIGHT LIKE
We dare you to check out the other Dare to Develop Podcast episodes including 000: Welcome to Dare to Develop where you get to meet your hosts Kristine Herman and Ashley Baumgartner.